The first cake I always remember being in our house as children is the good old victoria sponge cake. Its moist vanilla sponge, the jam and the buttercream filling – yum! Its one of the first things I learnt to bake and its one of my favourite still to make and of course eat! I
This recipe is one my mum uses and she taught me to use and is incredibly adaptable should you want to make it a marble cake or chocolate sponge, or make little fairy cakes instead. This is the easy peasy all in one sponge mix – its quick, its easy and you can adapt it to your needs. It’s perfect as a weekend baking treat, or if friends are popping by.
For the Sponge
225g Self Raising Flour
225g caster sugar
2 tsp baking powder
For the Frosting
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1. Line and grease a two sandwich tins (20cm) and pre heat the oven to 180 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl add all your ingredients, the flour, sugar, butter, eggs and baking powder and mix them with an electric mixer or spoon until just combined. Be careful not to over beat the mix as you will knock all the air out and you won’t get a good rise.
3. Spoon the mixture evenly into the two tins and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and the sponge springs back when you press on it lightly.
4. Once cooked take out of the oven and allow to cool completely. While the cake is cooling you can make the frosting. Mix the icing sugar and butter together in a large bowl and once it comes together add in the milk and vanilla and turn the hand mixer up to full and mix until the frosting becomes light and fluffy ( you can leave it in the fridge until its needed).
5. Once the cake has completely cooled you can assemble it. Take one of the sponges and spoon the jam on – as much or as little as desired. Make sure the whole base is covered. Then spoon on the butter cream frosting and smooth over the whole base again. Then carefully place the second sponge on top. To finish dust with a little icing sugar.
There you have it, a quick and easy pleasing victoria sponge cake. Its light and fluffy and one everyone will love!